Improvements to Hamble Lane
Plans to reduce traffic congestion on Hamble Lane, at Bursledon, will be considered by Hampshire County Council’s Executive Member for Environment and Transport, Councillor Rob Humby, at his Decision Day meeting on Tuesday 12 March 2019.
The report comes as Highways England announces a multi-million pound investment in upgrading Junction 8 of the M27 and the Windhover Roundabout.
Cllr Humby said: “With junctions on the A3025 / B3397 Hamble Lane at capacity during peak times, the focus of the County Council’s improvement scheme is at the northern section between Windhover Roundabout and the Portsmouth Road junction, along with complementary measures further south on Hamble Lane and on the wider network.”
“We’ve asked local people their views on our plans, and I’ll be looking at the analysis of the most recent consultation on the preferred scheme, including any minor modifications that could be made based on this feedback. I’m keen we get to a stage where the design is in a state of readiness so that when funding is available, we’re ready to start on these much-needed improvements to reduce journey time delays.”
As and when funding becomes available for works in the area, the priorities will be as follows, based on the outcome of the public consultations:
1. On-line widening of the northern section of Hamble Lane to provide a second lane southbound between the Tesco access and Portsmouth Road and a new shared use footway/cycleway on the eastern side of the road.
2. Installation of new traffic signals at the A3025 / Portsmouth Road Junction, including the partial reopening of Lowford Hill.
3. Installation of new traffic signals and widening at the Jurd Way junction.
4a. Revised access for the Tesco Store – new/improved existing car park egress and access, via the A27.
4b. Revised access arrangements for Tesco Store – new signal controlled left-in/left-out junction on Hamble Lane, with new u-turn slip from Hamble Lane northbound north of the Tesco access.
5. Installation of new traffic signals at the A27/Portsmouth Road Junction.
6. Installation of new traffic signals at the Satchell Lane and Hound Road junctions with Hamble Lane.
For more details go to: hants.gov.uk/hamblelane