top of page
  • Scene Media

Using Hampshire’s country parks and outdoor spaces during lockdown

Following the Prime Minister’s announcement on new national restrictions which will begin on 5 November to help prevent the spread of coronavirus, Hampshire County Council is reminding people to act responsibly and follow latest Government guidance when visiting outdoor spaces.

Councillor Seán Woodward, Executive Member for Recreation and Heritage at the County Council, said: “Our country parks are remaining open to visitors and normal opening hours and parking charges will apply. In line with Government guidance, our country parks’ outdoor play areas will remain open.

“From 5 November when the new national restrictions apply, indoor areas such as our country park visitor centres and shops will close, and our park cafés will operate takeaway services only.”

Toilet facilities at Queen Elizabeth, Lepe, Staunton, River Hamble and Royal Victoria country parks will remain open. The Chapel at Royal Victoria Country Park will be closed.

The County Council’s Manor Farm animal attraction, which is located inside River Hamble Country Park, and Staunton Farm, located next to Staunton Country Park, will also be closed while the national restrictions are in place.

Councillor Woodward continued: “At our Calshot Activities Centre, which is located on the Solent, indoor recreational activities will be paused from 5 November and the campsite will be closed. The slipways and car park will remain open for recreational boating and normal car parking charges will apply.”

Calshot’s café will be open at weekends only for takeaway food and hot drinks from 10am-4pm. Toilet facilities will remain open.

Tile Barn Outdoor Centre in the New Forest and Runway’s End Outdoor Centre near Farnborough will be closed.

The majority of the sites managed by the County Council’s Countryside Service will remain open from 5 November while national restrictions are in place, and only Titchfield Haven National Nature Reserve will be closed.

Executive Member for Countryside and Rural Affairs, Councillor Edward Heron, said: “I urge residents to continue to be sensible and responsible when using countryside spaces and local rights of way. Plan ahead and consult the Government website before you visit, to understand the COVID restrictions that apply, and follow the Countryside code by leaving no trace of your visit, and taking all your litter home.”  

For further information on the new national restrictions visit the Government website at

COVID-19 advice for Hampshire residents can be found at

3 views0 comments


bottom of page